Friday, May 22, 2009

Crock Pot Turkey Chili




It's been a crock pot week at my house. The weather is getting nice and I just don't feel like spending a lot of time cooking. Also, I am graduating college in December and I am taking a night course this summer (from 5-9:30) to get my GPA up some more and so I have an easy last semester. So the crock pot has been my best friend this passed week. My mom has been making this recipe for years, only with beef instead. But I kicked it up a notch with more spices! You can use lean ground beef but I prefer turkey.




  • 1lb ground turkey (or beef)


  • 2 24oz cans Hunt's tomato sauce (or one 40oz jar of tomato sauce, the sauce amount is not an exact science just make sure there is enough to cover the meat and beans and make sure it is NOT one of those "meat flavored" or "cheese flavored" sauces, just plain tomato sauce please)


  • 1 can pink beans (drained)


  • 1 can kidney beans (drained--or you can use two kidney beans, I just like the pink and red combo)


  • 1/2 a box frozen corn (or one can drained)


  • 1 envelope McCormick chili seasoning


  • 1 Tablespoon chili powder


  • 1 Tablespoon garlic powder


  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder


Add all the ingredients in the crock pot except the turkey and turn on low. Brown the turkey in a large skillet with cooking spray. Drain if there is any fat, but I usually have none. Add turkey into the crock pot, stir and that's it! Wait about 6 hours then serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream on top. This is SO good, I could eat it every day and LOADED with protein. This recipe makes a good amount, but I freeze individual portions and eat for lunch.



*Note- you can cook this on high for 2-3 hours also.

No comments:

Post a Comment