Soup's on! It's getting chilly here in New Jersey, actually at night it's down right cold! There is a restaurant near me called Atlanta Bread Company, and they have the most amazing Golden Lentil Soup. I've been all over every website looking for a copycat recipe. In fact, Atlanta Bread website doesn't even have the ingredients on their website. So I tried to replicate it. It is a vegetarian dish, but lentils are loaded with protein.
- 4 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth for the vegetarian)
- 2 cups hot water
- 1lb dry lentils
- 1 regular sized yellow onion chopped fine
- 2 cups chopped and peeled carrots, chopped fine
- 3 whole cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup canned, diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon saffron (or saffron powder)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne powder
- salt and black pepper to taste
This really couldn't be any easier. Rinse and pick through lentils. Add lentils, chicken broth and hot water to the crock pot. Chop onion and carrots small and add. Peel garlic, keep them whole, but smash them with the flat side of a knife. Add the garlic, they will melt right into the soup. Add in diced tomatoes. Add cumin, saffron, cayenne and salt and pepper. Stir. Cook on low for 8 hours, or high for 4-5 hours. About an hour before you want to eat, take about 1/4 of the soup, add to a blender or magic bullet and liquify. Add back into the soup. This makes it thicker and yummier lol. You can also use an immersion blender for the last part. This is sooo delicious, and good for all stages of post op!