Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spinach Pesto Chicken
















My garden is overflowing with basil. My husband picked some and we had two huge bunches wrapped up plastic wrap. I've never made pesto before, but I've eaten it on sandwiches and such. As I was blending up the basil, I remembered we had spinach in the fridge. Thus, spinach pesto was born.
  • 2 cups packed basil
  • 1 cup packed spinach
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (pine nuts are expensive, you can use em, but walnuts taste the same)
  • 1 lb thin sliced chicken, salt and pepper
In a food processor or blender put basil, spinach, garlic, cheese and walnuts. Pulse and mix in olive oil while blending. Saute chicken with salt and pepper in large skillet. Remove chicken and spoon pesto over chicken. Since my whole family eats pasta, I mixed the pesto up in the pasta and put the chicken on top. You can eliminate the pasta completely. This would be awesome with shrimp too.

No comments:

Post a Comment